When is the Woodward Dream Cruise? Automotive enthusiasts in metro Detroit better gear up, as the world’s largest one-day celebration of classic cars returns to Woodward Avenue.
The annual Woodward Dream Cruise started in 1995 and now attracts cars and people from all over the globe.
What is the Woodward Dream Cruise?
According to the Woodward Dream Cruise website, the event celebrates classic car culture and is the world’s largest one-day celebration for classic vehicles. It typically attracts over 1 million visitors and attendees, as well as over 40,000 unique vehicles.
The event takes place on the third weekend of August. It originally began as a fundraiser for a soccer field in Ferndale. The inaugural event, hosted by Nelson House and other volunteers, brought in more than 250,000 people, 10 times the expected amount.
When is the Woodward Dream Cruise?
The 2023 cruise is scheduled to take place on Saturday, Aug. 19, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Where is the Cruise taking place?
The cruise takes place on Woodward Avenue and stretches over a 16-mile radius. Vehicle drivers go through nine participating communities in Oakland County, including Pontiac, Bloomfield Township, Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Berkley, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge and Ferndale.
Where to park during the Woodward Dream Cruise?
Parking is available along the route, and according to the Woodward Dream Cruise’s website, here are some areas guests can find parking:
- Royal Oak Golf Center: Corner of Coolidge and West 13 Mile Rd.
- Gunn Dyer Park: South of Normandy between Coolidge and Woodward.
- Upton Park: South of West 14 mile Rd and Coolidge.
- City of Birmingham: All activities are within walking distance of the city’s downtown parking decks.
- City of Ferndale: The municipal parking lots surround downtown Ferndale, near Woodward Avenue & Nine Mile Rd.
- City of Pontiac: Municipal parking lots and structures surround downtown Pontiac.
- City of Royal Oak: Guest parking is available at municipal parking lots and within walking distance from Woodward. Specifically, guests can look for parking at the Royal Oak Golf Center, Gunn Dyer Park and Upton Park.
Is the Woodward Dream Cruise free?
The event is free to the public to both watch and participate in, however, participants without a classic car are asked to stay out of the two right-hand lanes. There is also public parking available near the cruise route.
Out-of-town visitors are encouraged to stay at one of the hotel sponsors for the cruise. These include Cambria, Hyatt Place, Holiday Inn Express, and Marriott. Additional locations are recommended here.
Who are the event sponsors?
There are numerous event sponsors for the 2023 Woodward Dream Cruise, including presenting sponsor Ford Motor Co. Others include the American Automobile Association (AAA) and Wild Bill’s Tobacco.
What can visitors expect during the Woodward Dream Cruise?
Every year, the event draws in about 1.5 million people who can expect to see over 400,000 cars, including muscle, street rods, custom builds, collector cars and special edition vehicles participating in the cruise.
Ford Motor Company is again the event’s sponsor for the sixth consecutive year.
“It’s incredibly special to celebrate Ford’s 120th Anniversary with Henry Ford’s first race car along with our entire portfolio to help power the Woodward Dream Cruise,” said Bryan Guldi, Ford U.S. branded activations manager, in a press release.
“Collaborating with the Woodward Dream Cruise is very important to Ford Motor Company because we strive to contribute and give back in meaningful ways to the communities where we live, work… and cruise.”
The 2023 Woodward Dream Cruise features the new Mustang Dark Horse, which is debuting this summer with an updated look and maintains manual transmission.
Ford will also feature its Bronco Raptor and F-150 Lightning at the event.
Where to buy Woodward Dream Cruise Merchandise?
Official merchandise can be found at the following locations:
- Ferndale City Hall, 300 East Nine Mile Rd., Downtown Ferndale (Mon – Thurs, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Nine Mile Road., east of Woodward Ave., Ferndale (Aug. 18 & 19)
- Pleasant Ridge City Hall, 23925 Woodward Ave., west of Woodward, south of I-696 (Aug. 19)
- Corner of West 12 Mile Road @ Woodward Avenue, Berkley (Aug. 18 & 19)
- Westborn Market – 27659 Woodward Ave., Berkley (Aug. 19)
- Zoe’s Restaurant – 25994 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak (Aug. 18 & 19)
- Sherwin Williams – 27958 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak (Aug. 18 & 19)
- CVS Pharmacy, 30900 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak (Aug. 18 & 19)
- Gus’s World Famous Hot & Spicy Fried Chicken, 31105 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak (Aug. 18 & 19)
- Kinkos – 33100 Woodward Ave., Birmingham (Aug. 19)
- West Maple Road, north corner of Woodward, 35075 Woodward Ave., Birmingham (Aug. 18, 19, & 20)
- Birmingham Cruise, Downtown Birmingham, Old Woodward Avenue – multiple locations (Aug. 19)
2 Michigan car shows named best in the nation
According to USA Today’s 10 Best, two car shows in Michigan are among the best in the nation. Amongst cities like Los Angeles, California, Louisville, Kentucky, and others, Detroit and Pontiac made the list.
The Woodward Dream Cruise took the number 6 spot for the best car show. Currently, it’s the world’s biggest cruise drawing in over one million people and over 40,000 classic cars each year. It started as a small fundraiser for a soccer field in Ferndale in 1995.
Nelson House and a group of volunteers looked to relive and recreate the nostalgic times of the ’50s and ’60s on Woodward Avenue. Annually, the Woodward Dream Cruise takes place in August on the third Saturday from 9 am to 9 pm.
Ahead of the Woodward Dream Cruise, the site listed Pontiac’s Cars & Coffee event. On the first Saturday of each month, car enthusiasts gather to showcase their cars at M1 Concourse. Each event has a unique car theme, with selected cars matching the theme displayed in the arena parking area. Members of the M1 Concourse Car Club will have their vehicles on display as well.
While all other vehicles are welcome to park at the trackside, some of their upcoming events include GM brands, antique, vintage, and classics, and Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury. See their complete list of shows here.
What is the best car show in the nation?
They said that the best car show in the nation is on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, Cruisin’ the Coast. It’s considered “America’s largest block party,” with more than 7,000 cars in a large show along the beachside highway on the Mississippi Coast. Happening since 1996, the annual event has live music, food, merchandise, a car auction, a swap meet, and a parade.
What day is Woodward Dream Cruise 2023?
Saturday, August 19, 2023: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. Click here to view the official route of the Woodward Dream Cruise.
Is the Woodward Dream Cruise only one day?
The Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day celebration of classic car culture that attracts over 1 million visitors, and more than 40,000 muscle cars, street rods, custom, collector and special interest vehicles.
How long does the Woodward Dream Cruise last?
The Woodward Dream Cruise is free to attend so you should have a great time! The Dream Cruise is one day, but there are a few events the day before. Check out our guide below for lots of information and the schedule.
Above is information about What is the Woodward Dream Cruise? that we have compiled. Hopefully, through the above content, you have a more detailed understanding of When is the Woodward Dream Cruise? Thank you for reading our post.