How many Ford GT were made? How many Ford GT were sold? The Ford GT is a mid-engine two-seater sports car manufactured and marketed by American automobile manufacturer Ford for the 2005 model year in conjunction with the company’s 2003 centenary. The second generation Ford GT became available for the 2017 model year.
The GT recalls Ford’s historically significant GT40, a consecutive four-time winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans (1966–1969), including a 1-2-3 finish in 1966.
This history has inspired many movies, including the 2019 film Ford v Ferrari. In this film, they show the story of the development of the Ford GT40 mk I. The car was designed by Carroll Shelby, Phil Remington, and race car driver Ken Miles.
How many Ford GT were made?
2022 marks the end of the current generation Ford GT’s production run and we miss it already. This race-bred track munching supercar was the product of decades of heritage in the international stage of endurance racing. Much like the original GT40, Ford created this generation Ford GT with one goal, win the 24 Hours of Le Mans, a goal it achieved on its first try in spectacular fashion. The modern motorsport legend is down to its final 250 cars marking the end of an era that will live on in Ford history.
2016 marked 50 years since Ford won the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans with the groundbreaking GT40. This impressive feat was the result of years of intense work required to build a race car capable of beating Ferrari. Ferrari’s race cars were legends around Le Mans and in the 1950s and 1960s nobody won more 24 hours of Le Mans than Ferrari.
With the second generation of the Ford GT nearing the end of its production cycle, Multimatic the company that builds Ford GT expects to complete production of all 1,350 units by December 2022. That means that we’ll have to wait until the next time Ford is ready to remind motorsport fans of its endurance racing pedigree to see the third generation Ford GT. We’re certainly sad to see production end, but we look forward to seeing what the future holds for this historic nameplate.
Ford GT Heritage Edition: Honoring The Past
At the Chicago Auto Show was the newly revealed Ford GT Alan Mann Heritage Edition. This seventh Ford GT Heritage Edition was built to celebrate Alan Mann Racing, which helped develop the lightweight bodies for the GT. It’s the second Heritage Edition for the 2022 model year and carries the No. 16 of the original race car it pays homage to. Cadiz noted that build slots are still available for the Alan Mann Heritage Edition and the white and black GT ’64 Prototype Heritage Edition, which honors the first five prototype cars Ford created in 1964.
Cadiz also revealed information regarding the build numbers for prior Heritage Edition models:
- Only 27 2017 ’66 Heritage Edition cars were built, which honored the No. 2 Ford GT40 Mk II that Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon drove to victory at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- Ford and Multimatic only built 39 of the 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage Edition models, which honored the No. 1 1967 Ford GT40 Mk IV that won Le Mans in 1967.
- Just 50 examples of both the 2019 and 2020 Gulf Livery Heritage Editions were made. The 2019 model depicted the No. 9 car that won Le Mans in 1968, and the 2020 model honored the No. 6 car that won Le Mans in 1969.
- Just 50 units were built of the 2021 Ford GT ’66 Daytona Heritage Edition, which depicted the No. 98 Ford GT40 Mk II race car that Ken Miles drove to victory at the 1966 24 Hours of Daytona.
- Lastly, 343 units of the previous-generation 2006 Ford GT Gulf Livery Heritage Edition were built, commemorating the GT40’s 24 Hours of Le Mans titles in 1968 and 1969.
It won’t be long until the last of a legendary, history-writing race car rolls off the assembly line, and we are confident they will continue to appear and fetch high prices at auctions for years to come.
One Last Ford GT Expected To Debut
Based on spy photos and previous commentary from Ford Performance executives, we expect the Ford GT program to debut one final, farewell edition variant that will be made available at the very end of the supercar’s lifecycle. This special model is expected to integrate some go-faster hardware found on the track-only Ford GT Mk II, which represents an unhinged interpretation of the now-retired racecars with more radical aerodynamics, bigger brakes, and more horsepower.
How many Ford GT were sold?
The search results show that 4,038 Ford GTs were sold in total between 2004 and 2006.
Please be aware, though, that I’m still developing and might not always be able to offer the most recent or correct information. I suggest getting in touch with Ford directly if you need additional information on this subject.
Is Ford GT limited production?
The Ford GT is, in fact, a limited-edition vehicle. The number of units produced between 2004 and 2006 was just 4,038.
Additionally, the GT was manufactured in small quantities in 2017 and 2022.
Why is the Ford GT so famous?
The Ford GT is well-known for several reasons:
- Its racing history: The Ford GT is derived from the Ford GT40, which from 1966 to 1969 won the 24 Hours of Le Mans four times in a row. This triumph, which is regarded as one of the biggest upsets in motorsports history, after Ford’s multiple losses at Le Mans against Ferrari.
- Performance: With a top speed of more than 200 mph, the Ford GT is a supercar of the highest kind. It is propelled by a mid-mounted EcoBoost V6 engine with 550 lb-ft of torque and 647 horsepower.
- Its scarcity: Just 4,038 Ford GTs were made between 2004 and 2006, making it a very rare vehicle. It is therefore a very sought-after collector’s item.
- The Ford GT has an amazing appearance because to its aerodynamic, streamlined form. While it draws inspiration from the GT40, this automobile is contemporary and forward-thinking.
It makes sense that the Ford GT is so well-known since it is such a unique automobile. It combines performance, rarity, tradition in racing, and superb appearance.
Apart from the previously mentioned factors, the Ford GT’s reputation also stems from its affiliation with the Ford Motor Company. The flagship supercar of Ford, one of the most well-known and renowned automakers in the world, is the GT. As so, it represents Ford’s dedication to innovation and engineering prowess.
Above is information about How many Ford GT were made? How many Ford GT were sold? that we have compiled. Hopefully, through the above content, you have a more detailed understanding of Ford GT were made. Thank you for reading our post.